Thursday, November 29, 2012

Quest for the Perfect Quookie

Before I launch into my diatribe about Thanksgiving, allow me to demonstrate some cookies that I made when was starting to get sick.  After making about 6 dozens of these, I fed them Typhoid-Mary style to Mike and some of my co-residents at the hospital. Somehow, no one fell ill. But Mike got a pretty severe case of Cookie Hunger.


As you can see, I was eating them as they came out of the oven. GI = GO, as if!

I will now describe the method I followed in creating these non-dairy delights. Good thing I decided to do this, because I just now fished out the recipe card from my recipe box and was disturbed by how little my notes captured the spirit of inventiveness, resourcefulness, and spontaneity from whence burst forth my dainty delectable darlings.

Crispy Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/4 c all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 c unsalted butter-->1 C butter-flavored Crisco + 2T oil + 2T water
1 1/4 c granulated sugar
3/4 c packed light brown sugar
1 t salt
2 t vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 c chocolate chips

1. I put the flour into the Kitchenaid Mixer then tossed in the baking soda and salt.

2. I filled the 1 c measuring cup with Crisco and dumped that into the mixer.

3. Feeling like a greaseball, I haphazardly underfilled a 1/4 c with Crisco and put that into the mixer.

4. Fearing that my cookies wouldn't be delicious, I decided to add 2T of canola oil (I recalled that this particular recipe historically required thinning out the batter with a small amount of water).

5. Remembering the conversion of Crisco to butter (1 c butter = 1 c Crisco + 2T water), I added 2T water.

6. I added 1 1/2 c white sugar to the mix, then 3/4 c brown sugar.

7. I mixed that biznaz and it became fluffy (a good thing), crystalline from sugar (probably normal), and strangely pale in color for chocolate chip cookies (ERR?!).  

8. To correct the paleness, I added molasses until the dough was a little more golden. This required 3 teaspoons--not enough to thin out the dough.

9. In went the vanilla and it smelled like heaven.

10. I tasted the dough and it was delicious so I proceeded to add chocolate chips.

11. I used the 1T spoon to scoop dough onto parchment paper and baked them at 350 for about 10 min, checking on them like a constant gardener and took them out only as they had just turned golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment