Friday, November 30, 2012

Chapter 2: Thanksgiving Sidekick / Green Bean Casserole

This green bean casserole was gratifying to make because it came together easily and was super tasty.

hey where did those crazy yams come from?
First I boiled fresh green beans and set them aside to hang out with some yams.  
Then I sauteed king trumpet mushrooms (from the Chinese store) in onions and garlic.
For the liquid portion I added vegetable stock and almond milk (instead of cream)
I then devilishly snuck in some marsala wine! 
I seasoned liberally with whatever was around, namely white pepper, salt, garlic powder, and...nutmeg! 
(Got that last one from Alton Brown)


Mushroom soup detour! This was Mike's 1st  lunch. Trumpet mushrooms are SO GOOD.

Now it's straightforward. Note the shallot topping I made by tossing shallots (cut into rings) with panko breadcrumbs and flour. I also added some sliced garlic in there.  Next time I'll double the amount--it seems to shrink like a sweater in the dryer. Off it went into the oven for 10-12 min at 350 until bubbling.
Note: Topping goes on towards the end of baking to ensure crispiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment